Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The great seed experiment...part 1

tri-color bean mix, originally uploaded by Margo and George.

...part 1 of several, apparently. So, as mentioned in a previous post, I was inspired by someone else's work with little tiny spare holiday lights. I came up with my own spin on things, though: I like that flavored seltzer water (mmm, lime/raspberry), but hate that I have to "throw away" (recycle) the bottles all the time. I found a good use for some of these bottles at least: I realized that the "collar" next to the cap would allow me to hang them with a string from some kind of a hook. From there I could wrap the lights and move them around as necessary, without interfering with the tender seedlings. Also the clear bottle would insulate it from temperature vagaries and curious little paws.

I wasn't sure if it would work...but it worked better than I'd expected: beans I wasn't expecting to see for at least 10 days came up in...5 to 7 days. The peas and peppers are only now just starting to peek out...but all in all, I"m psyched that I may have something going on here. The next post is of today's progress on the bean-front...

I realize it isn't terribly attractive, what with the soda bottle, but hey - for those of us with space constraints...I'm pretty pleased with the results.

No comments: