Sunday, April 6, 2008

Today's fit of optimism led to...





Well, I told myself I'd given up on giving my seeds an early start. After heading down to Concord to help my mother put in a few new small shrubs, I changed my mind. I wandered into my local hardware store and bought a few more seeds and two sets of 'starter kits.' If nothing else, I'll have them for next year, but this way at least I can experiment with having a small set of seedlings started, and the remainder of my growing collection of seeds will just go into the ground sometime next weekend when I get my plot.

Found a nifty watering pot as well - the spout swivels round and out of the way for storage when you're not using it. Cool! Now let's just see how long it tolerates all the inevitable grit that will build up... ha! Still, I remain optimistic as ever.

I think I'll also try installing plastic yogurt cups in between rows, with perforations in them, so that there's some additional water reservoir and gradual watering. Haven't tried that before, so it will be interesting to see if that helps mitigate some of the inevitable hot/drying spells we'll get come July.

7 comments:

Giddy said...

Hi, Margo, and thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like you have a great start to your garden and I'm looking forward to watching the progress. I'll be stopping by frequently!

Anonymous said...

I'll take Morning Glory for $200 please.

And a vowel.

Margo said...

Giddy: Thanks for stopping by, I've been enjoying the garden - and cat - updates.

forty_two: for $200, you may have those morning glories...some of them, at any rate. Brought to you by the letter "O."

Anonymous said...

Here's another inspiring blogger from the Boston area: http://www.carletongarden.blogspot.com/

She has an amazing vegetable garden in her tiny yard, and this year is trying out a community garden plot.

Ali

Kate said...

Good haul. I know those fits of optimism well. Hell, they're worth it for the fun alone! Good luck with seeds!

Unknown said...

Margo, thanks for visiting! I love the resident furpurrson (we have nine naughty catchildren here so some mishaps take place here, too.) Your seed choices are wonderful--optimism is everblooming in the garden, isn't it?

Margo said...

Ali: Thanks for the tip! As it turns out, Skippy's owner and I have already "met" - we're looking forward to meeting in person on Cleanup Day at the community garden! Very excited to have a plot...

Kate: thanks for the encouragement - My fits of optimism have had a stronger pull than ever this year, ha! I'm enjoying browsing your blog now too. I'll be by for a "visit" soon.

Jodi: I am enjoying both your blog and the Adventures of the Merry Catchildren! Saw your post just now about the gardens - great photos. I too love alpine plants, esp. discovering them while hiking (hike hike hike "Oh look!") - I'm not sure how well this goes over with my fellow hikers though. :/ Oh well!